"Did you," so he asked him at one time, "did you too learn that secret from the river: that there is no time?"

~Siddartha by Herman Hesse


Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My Mission Statement

To me, Teaching is an act of immense dedication and love. It's not simply one way, but reciprocal, a teacher gains as much from students as they do from teachers. The act of teaching is more than the relay of subject and curriculum, it's the act of illuminating possibilities and dreams for the future. Teaching instills much more than academic knowledge to students. It creates a safe space and time for expression and discovery, fostering self-worth, understanding, and passion - three things for successful navigation of the future.

I believe each child has the right to learn, to be heard, and to discover. Only through questioning can answers be found. The Teacher must not only impart knowledge, but be able to step back and allow for knowledge to be discovered.

As a teacher, I believe it is my duty to teach my students the skills they need to see the world in different ways, explore new perspectives, and to challenge themselves. That way learning is not what they do "because", but because of their own curiosity.

I want students to be able to walk out of my classroom with an ability to think critically about the world around them, to approach cultural differences with curiosity and respect, and above all to feel empowered.

No comments: